The sun is shining, the grass is growing, kids are out driving their bikes around the block, the birds are chirping on my patio and driving the cats nuts…and I’m stuck inside a cube all day.
Something is not right here.
I mean, besides the fact that it’s April in the upper Midwest and we’re not fighting back floodwaters and slogging through mud and muck just getting around town. It’s April and we’ve had spring for a couple months now. That is just WEIRD.
(Ask me, I think even Winter got sick of winter up here and decided to fly south just for a change of pace.)
With spring perking up all over, it’s time to put away the soups and stews and start whipping up other sorts of munchies. The light happy fruity ones that beg to be served on a little bistro table on a patio, enjoying the warm sun and cool breeze.
Too bad all my patio stuff is locked away in a garage that I can’t open ’til my apartment company fixes the door that they broke.
At least I can stilll cook!
Another trusted Betty Crocker recipe, this time spiced up with apple and streusel crunch topping.
- 1 1/2 cups flour or Simply Savory GF baking mix
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (or so)
- 1/4 cup shortening, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup apple, grated (or more)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup broken nuts
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Fill muffin pan with baking cups, or grease the cups.
- Sift flour/baking mix, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cinnamon together.
- Add shortening, egg, milk, and apple.
- Stir just until the ingredients are blended together, then scoop into muffin cups. Sprinkle with topping mix.
- Bake 20-25 min until golden brown.
Makes about 2 dozen muffins.